While you’re settling into your new uni life, it is inevitable that some of you will be missing family and friends back on the Rock.
To ease your transition why don’t you cook up some local Gibraltarian recipes, guaranteed to make you feel right at home…
- Nine rolls
- Three big mugs of milk
- Two mugs of sultanas
- 1 egg
- 1 caramel flan
- Two teaspoon cinnamon powder
- Two big mugs of sugar
- Soak bread in water, once done squeeze all water out, put into a big bowl.
- Add all ingredients and mix well.
- Transfer into a baking tray or oven dish, sprinkle with cinnamon and bake at 170°C until set.
- Pierce the pudding with a cocktail stick, it should come out clean.
- 3 bunches spinach
- 3 cups hard edam cheese
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- Salt and pepper
- 4-5 eggs for mixture
- 3 eggs in pie
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup oil
- Sufficient flour to form a ball
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Wash the spinach after removing the thick white stalks.
- Roll up the leaves and cut very fine, place in a bowl with salt and plenty of boiling water to cover.
- Whilst spinach is in the boiling water make up the pastry.
- Mix all ingredients into a ball and set aside for a while.
- Now drain the spinach very well, squeeze all the water from the spinach and place it in a big bowl, add the beaten eggs, grated cheese and breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, garlic, parsley and the oil. Mix together very well.
- Line an oven dish with half of the dough.
- Fill with the spinach mixture and make four wells in the mixture and crack the remaining four eggs sparingly.
- Cover with the remaining dough, brush the top with a beaten egg.
- And bake in the preheated oven.
For more local recipes, visit https://mamalotties.com/.